Thursday, February 28, 2008

Politics and Such

Texas, it turns out, has become a linchpin in the race to become the Democratic nominee for president.

I have been planning to attend the Democratic National Convention in Denver next August. Both to get mixed in with the hype and just to get back to the mountains. I wasn't expecting to see the excitement so soon.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the political craziness for a publication. I have gone to shoot it just for fun. Yeah, I know. How can that be fun? Maybe it is just the energy of being around people who really have hope and faith that their candidate can create change for them. I am too bitter for that. I just don't think either Clinton or Obama will be able to undo what has been done... and blame can't just be placed on the most recent clown that that held office. The problems facing the United States today are a result of 200 years of bad politics, not eight.

So...while I am hesitant to get too excited over the next election, it is refreshing to see a real sense of urgency and willingness to participate from the public. Both candidates represent a change in appearance. That is good. It is obviously time to move beyond electing the same old white man for president. I just wonder how different either of the Democrats are from that same old school political mentality. Hillary boasts experience...experience in the same system that she claims to change. I don't buy it. For some reason, though I am drawn to her. People say she is scary. I think I like that a little. Obama really seems to give hope and bring people together. For that I think he could be great. He boasts his ability to create change from his experience with grassroots organizations. I wonder how much this experience can transmit the hope to the rest of the world. I like both...but I am skeptical of both as well.






1 comment:

Ivana Corsale said...

stop the skepticism and vote for Obama! Cmon, you bitter soul!!