Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Failed Rant

I just finished a huge rant about another bogus report from newspaper land. But I erased it just before publication. Better to not bore you anyway with my silly bitterness.

I do have fun snaps from last night's time spent at Herman's Hideaway in Denver, Colorado. It was a stubbornly hard shoot due to a gross lack of light.

Cool bar with even cooler people. I'd like to spend more time talking to some of the old employees like Carol Weyle. Carol, who began working at the bar over twenty years ago, now sits in the coat check room memorizing her bible study book and warming her hands next to an old ratty heater. While Carol is against the war, she has four sons who are in the military. Her youngest, age 30, left his job at the bar to join the Marines. He just left for Iraq.

While Herman has passed on, I believe in 1996, the bar still rocks. There is always a different sound. Some nights Latin jazz, some nights reggae, some nights hip-hop. The bar, located on South Broadway away from downtown and the posh clubs in LoDo, is a traditional dive bar with a crowd from all social networks. I hear the place has been expanded twice and still barely holds the crowd. I see too many shitty bars that have a very uncomfortable feel and energy. The Hideaway still has that family vibe. I dig it.

I hope to see, or at least hear of it, making 50 years.










No comments: