Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A Soldiers Gift

It is 2008. I can see 2009 approaching quickly.

On September 11, 2001, I was a freshman in college. I was on my way to film class when I heard the news. We didn't get class off or even speak about it. It wasn't until 2005 when the first movie about 9/11 came out. Flight 93 I believe. I still need to see Snakes On A Plane.

2003 marked the beginning of the second war in Iraq with the United States. This time I was old enough to visualize and somewhat comprehend the consequences. We are five years into it and I honestly don't see it ending anytime soon...despite McCain's promise to be out by 2013.

We have seen over 4,000 American soldiers killed and obvious uncountable Iraqi civilian deaths.

I wonder how much support the troops, kids my age and younger, are still receiving? Despite my strong left leaning ideologies, I still stop to think about how hard it must be to experience war.

I photographed a group of people (overwhelmingly women) who have organized a group to send care packages to soldiers. It was endearing. They also sign cards. Support. That is all they are trying to give.

Support.

1 comment:

avs said...

this is a sensitive, beautiful photo.