Monday, June 9, 2008

Growing Up and Down

A sky-blue balsa wood car winning third place, a river trip with skipping stones and wet socks, and a faded comic book drawn by me but visualized by my father. These are the memories that surround Boy Scouts. I didn't make it very far. Past Cub Scouts and passing through Webelos I gave it up for more lazy activities. It's not that I regret it. Looking back, given the religious undertones fixed within the Boy Scouts establishment, I probably did well to avoid any heavenly promises at the expense of a good foundation.

Admittedly, the Boy Scouts often does promote community awareness and the awareness of communities place within nature. Qualifying nature's position and potential power over community is an important and under valued ideology.

It was inspiring to find a group of young kids from the city admiring the forest. Building a trail for bikes out of a trash filled forest is a good start for a Dallas, a city with almost no nature. I hope the trail works out.

No comments: