Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Final Goodbye

I revisited some negatives from my grandmothers funeral a couple months ago.

They were eerie...both in spirit and quality. They had the foggy visual effect made possible by the Holga camera they were shot on. Somehow that foggy idea perfectly reflects the funeral and the events that surrounded her burial. The weekend was not rainy, but may as well have been. Not because of the events taking place, but because of the hasty and muggy reactions of the present family. It wasn't sorrow as much as an uncomfortable urgent desire to finish the funeral and move on.

These emotions aren't so much reflected in the following photographs. Probably because I more or less wanted to just move on from the whole ordeal myself.

Regardless, my grandma was finally laid to rest next to her husband and second child, Larry, after many pain filled years leading up to a painless final departure.




2 comments:

William DeShazer said...

I'm sorry for your loss my friend. The pictures certainly capture a feeling of loss and the wonder of death to the living. I hope that this was a therapeutic process for you and are doing well.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing. avs