Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ike Evacuees

I debated about going to the coast to cover Hurricane Ike. In the end, the decision was easy. I had no disaster experience. I had no truck. I had no connections. And possibly most important, I had no secured assignment.

The day before Ike hit evacuees started rolling into Dallas. I decided to head down to the Dallas Convention Center where 1,450 cots were positioned with health and food stations. I arrived a little after 11AM and already the place was busy. With good reason the media was not allowed inside. After speaking with the Red Cross media liaison, I was reminded that these people had just been through a traumatic experience. Considering I had no assignment, I was more than OK with their position. After all, there really was no reason for the media to get involved.

For a good half-hour I watched as families shuffled about with their lives stuffed into plastic bags. I talked with a few people, mostly from Bay Town, about what they left behind.

Things were relatively calm and I decided to shoot a few Polaroids. It is amazing how open people can be in the middle of a disaster.

I hope things turn out for them.



3 comments:

trey kazee said...

fantastic. i LOVE the one in the middle.

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Matt I forgot you have a blog. This is really great. Love, C